Wine & Dine Wednesday brings a hearty sheet pan chicken dish I made for us the other evening out at WestWard. It was feeling quite wintery, so I am calling this ‘Winter Sheet Pan Chicken’ but it really would be good any time of year. Just know it is very hearty. The bacon strewn about takes it to a whole different level as it infuses everything on the sheet pan. We are big bacon fans in our household! The apples add a sweetness that is just lovely. I like to make a double batch so we have leftovers in town during the week for supper and shop lunches.
* 1/2 pound sourdough boule, cut or torn into 2-inch pieces
* 1/2 pound slab bacon, cut into 1-by- 1/2-inch lardons
* 1 large baking potato—scrubbed, halved crosswise and cut into 3/4-inch wedges
* 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
* 2 apples, peeled and cut into quarters, with the seeds and core discarded
* 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
* 4 oregano sprigs
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* salt and pepper
* 6 whole chicken legs or thighs
Preheat the oven to 400°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread, bacon, potato, onion, apples, butter, oregano and crushed red pepper with the olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper. Spread in an even layer. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and arrange on the bread mixture.
Roast the chicken and bread mixture for about 45 minutes, until the bread is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the chicken registers 160°. Enjoy!